Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep

The great grandaddy of all horrorcore rap, Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep fused the skewed, dusty funk of Wu-Tang onto Addams Family organ and a lyrical prediliction for horror theatrics, although in contrast to what followed, many of the songs are tongue-in-cheek, goofy, and digressive.  Containing two members of hip-hop veterans Stetsasonic and RZA from the newly-famous Wu-Tang Clan, plus the late Poetic, they initially formed after being screwed by Tommy Boy records in various ways.  What at first was a one-off spleen venting became a movement in underground hip-hop, with a legion of horror obsessed freaks taking to the 808 and mirroring the rise of underground death metal in the early and mid-nineties.  I've made a little game lately of comparing landmark albums in the respective genres; let's call this one Mental Funeral.

3 comments:

  1. aw, jeezus. this album has slowly evolved into summertime bbq music for me. nice post,my man, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    I came across this site looking for horror blogs to promote my new album to. Your take on Gravediggaz makes me think you'd really dig my new album, MC Randumb & Jewish Dave "Songs In The Key Of Murder"

    We were totally influenced by Gravediggaz although we go for an even more funny version of horror influenced rap, and if you can, please check us out at http://mcrandumbjewishdave.bandcamp.com/album/songs-in-the-key-of-murder

    If you are interested in getting in contact with me or getting a copy of our full press release, e-mail me at david @ bydavidrosen . com

    Thanks,

    Jewish Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is mislabled, the name of this album is NIGGAMORTIS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails